≡ Menu
in Travel Guides & Tips

How to get Ryanair change your name for only £10 or even free

Disclaimer: I don’t work for Ryanair so I can’t answer your queries. Please contact them instead. See below how to best contact Ryanair.

Update: 27th February 2016

Ryanair has made it easier for their customers to contact them

The best way to contact Ryanair to change your name or spelling mistakes is by a Live Chat service. Thanks to Rob who updated me with this information in the comment below.

From Ryanair website, go to Info. Under “Customer Service” click on “Fees” where you will find a link to their live chat service.

The trivia bit

Changing a name with Ryanair could be costly. But if you are just changing the spelling of a name or from middle name to surname and vice versa, it only costs £10 or even free. However, if you are changing the name to another passenger then I’m afraid the £110 fee applies. Another way to contact Ryanair is via Twitter. Send them a tweet and they will reply to you quickly. You need to have a twitter account to use this option.

Here are other different ways to contact Ryanair Customer Service. If you don’t want to read through the article, go directly to the information you want.

How to change name with Ryanair for free

Ryanair Name Change Fee explained

The Name Change in Ryanair’s Fee list means a new passenger’s name. But if it is the same person and it is just a spelling error or changing from married name to maiden name and vice versa, then it is called “Amendment”.

How to Contact Ryanair Customer Service

By Phone

Call this customer service number 0871 246 0000* which costs 10p/minute as they say but actually 22p when I checked my phone bill. Depending on the staff on duty, they might ask you to send a fax of your passport and marriage certificate or they might do it while you’re on the phone for free or for a small admin fee of £10.

If they ask you to fax something, send it to this number: 00 35318 121 649

*Please note, this is a UK premium number and if you are calling from abroad it will cost you an arm and a leg.

Try this number instead +353 1 812 1212 and don’t tell them you are calling from outside the UK otherwise they might direct you to a premium number in your country.

By Email

Go to Ryanair website and follow this step.

• Useful Info — Contact Us — Compliments & General Complaints — Contact Form.

Via Twitter

By far, the fastest way to contact Ryanair Customer Service is via Twitter (@Ryanair). Whether it’s a complaint or assistance you are after, they are quick to attend to your need. This is the cheapest especially if you are going to call from abroad. All you need is a twitter account and it’s free to sign up. Take note that this is not a 24/7 service. It’s available from 7AM – 9PM UK time.

(Visited 82,088 times)
{ 345 comments… add one }
  • daniel July 12, 2015, 7:40 am

Reading this blog has given me hope, I have a booking of six but two surnames are the wrong way round I hope they will fix it without charging me

• Jemina Sentina July 12, 2015, 8:02 am

Contact them through Twitter as soon as you can. Wish you all the best.

• michelle wroe July 3, 2015, 10:02 am

so grateful!! for your advise ryanair changed a mis-spelt name for us free of charge, i was worried that i would have had to pay £110 Thankyou!

• Andrea June 20, 2015, 9:01 pm

Hiya, I’ve booked my step son with Ryanair but his name is hyphenated and I have only put the second name on booking form. I.E mark smith-jones I’ve booked mark jones. How much will this be? Many Thanks

• Jemina Sentina June 21, 2015, 5:01 pm

Hi Andrea, sorry I can’t really speak up for Ryanair as I don’t work for them. But contact them through Twitter and you will get a speedy reply. I hope you get it sorted.

• Nataly Mot June 14, 2015, 10:16 pm

Hi ! I just book a ticket but in my second name is missing one leter, how much it will cost me to change?

• Jemina Sentina June 15, 2015, 3:13 pm

Hi Nataly, it shouldn’t cost anything for them to amend it. Contact them via Twitter now.

• Monica Harrington May 30, 2015, 7:57 am

You’re AWESOME!!! i contacted ryanair through twitter which i would never have thought to do before and i got my flight name changed for free!! Thank you so much! 😀

• Melanie May 28, 2015, 10:57 pm

Hello ms jem i just booked yesterday our flights in ryan air but i just realized i didnt put our middle name what should i do..Our flight is still in august 2015 thanks i have 2 children i just want to have a pleasant vacation is it a big deal because on our passport we have the middle name..thanks

• Jemina Sentina May 29, 2015, 9:10 am

Hi Melanie,
      I never use my middle name when booking with Ryanair. As long as the first name and last name on the ticket match their passport, it’s alright. Enjoy your holiday. Cheers! 😀

• paul kelly May 27, 2015, 8:13 am

thank you so much for this ryanair just amended the name free of charge just one letter out, was sure it was going to be £100

• Andy May 5, 2015, 9:57 pm

Hello,
    I have booked a ticket for a friend who has a double-barrelled surname however have only entered his first name and the second half of his double-barrelled surname, is this going to be a problem do you think ?

Many thanks,

Andy

• Jemina Sentina May 6, 2015, 7:30 am

Hi Andy, please see my conversation with Ryanair below. You can contact them via twitter to sort it out for you. All the best. Jem

• Jennifer August 25, 2015, 9:32 pm

Hi Andy,

Did they charge you over the double barrel name?

• Maryama May 1, 2015, 11:13 pm

Hey i spelled my borthers name wrong. If i want to contact them. should i just tweet them or????

• Jemina Sentina May 5, 2015, 4:58 pm

Hi Maryama, sorry for this delayed reply. I thought I already did. Yes, just tweet them. If you have already done so, I hope you got it sorted.

• Jamie Blackie April 30, 2015, 6:53 pm

Hi Jem,

Is there a way to change a name to a completely different name i.e. transfer the ticket to someone else’s name without paying £110??

Thanks

• Jemina Sentina April 30, 2015, 7:21 pm

Hi Jamie

I’m afraid not. Unfortunately that is a change of name/passenger. But try to contact them via Twitter. They should be able to give you the right answer.

• Youyou May 2, 2015, 6:13 pm

Hello Jamie,

i am in a similar situation. Did you manage to get away without paying the £110?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Youyou

• Egle April 27, 2015, 10:31 pm

Hey I booked a ticket with my surname mistake it should be Umbrasaite and I wrote Ubrasaite I missed M .. how can I fix it?? How much does it charge?

• Jemina Sentina April 27, 2015, 10:56 pm

Hi Egle, contact them via twitter and they will change it for you. It should be free.

• Randeep April 20, 2015, 5:31 am

I swapped 2 letters of my first name by mistake.
    I used live Chat and it was fixed in less than 5 mins.

For Free

• rittika April 11, 2015, 12:24 am

Hi,
    I made a booking for my husband and myself both the names say Mr arnab Chakraborty and Mrs arnab Chakraborty. What should I do.

• Jemina Sentina April 12, 2015, 2:25 pm

Hi Rittika, Did you actually read the post? There are several ways to contact Ryan air, the fastest is via twitter. Hope you get it sorted.

• Simon H March 27, 2015, 6:33 pm

Thank you so much for this. I rang Ryanair’s number ( 0330 100 7838 ) and was on hold for about 10 minutes before a very pleasant lady changed one of the names on my booking for only £10. I made sure to call it an “amendment”. not sure if that made any difference!

• Hannah March 25, 2015, 10:50 am

Thanks for then advice Jem, I was almost in tears thinking about the £440 I would have to pay to change the names, when I realised I had missed off the first part of a hyphened surname off the booking information with Ryanair. I spoke to them over ‘Live Chat’ and they ‘amended’ the names for free, they were really helpful…Ryanair have just gone up to customer excellence in my opinion..I never thought I’d say that!

• Reina March 24, 2015, 1:40 pm

YAY!! I’ve done it for FREE by twitter!! I’m sure that twitter is the fastest way to solve this problem.. They responded me so fast and it took me only 10 mins for all the process!! Thank you so much Jemina!!!

• Karen March 15, 2015, 11:09 am

Just read your blog … to the end… which was really quite amusing if I had been in the mood for laughing… if I manage to save £110 or even £100 I can then laugh… what a mistake to mis-spell my mates name?! Thanks for this advice and fingers crossed that I manage this or I will be crying not laughing!

• Carl March 5, 2015, 6:27 pm

Jem you little legend you just saved me paying £110!! I owe you a drink x

• Waseem Hussain March 2, 2015, 1:48 pm

Done for free. Lifesaver, thank you so much!!!

• Derry February 20, 2015, 1:24 pm

Cheers for this, had booked for 21 students to go to Poland and realised a Serbian national was using an English name a little too late. Couldn’t bear the thought of paying £110 for changing a name when the ticket was only £70 (return!!)… So thanks very much!

• Beth February 1, 2015, 3:02 pm

Thank you so much!!
    Was booking a surprise rip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary but misspelt my mothers surname!
    The cost of changing the name would have doubled the cost of their flights! I am so grateful!

• EV January 13, 2015, 2:22 pm

Hi Jem,

Spelt one name wrong on a booking, called the number, 1 min on hold, few minutes to explain change and no problem, was done free of charge. Very surprised knowing Ryanair’s reputation.

Cheers for the info Jem! Would have been enraged if it costed £110 to make the change!

• Ged January 8, 2015, 4:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Jem.

I booked a flight in my mate’s middle name (what he’s known as) and then realised my error. Rang the CS number provided, explained the situation and they changed it no problem and free of charge.

Thanks again

• Matej December 9, 2014, 9:09 am

Hi!Just wanted to thank you for this amazing blog,if It wasn’t for you, I would have ended up buying a new ticket for sure!So, autofill put my last name on my girlfriend name and I realized it just after I made a reservation! On Ryanair site there was only a 110£ option and I was already desperate!
    After reading our blog,I contacted them this morning via chat(I am in Italy) and they have solved my problem in seconds without any charge!(because it was booked the same day)
    Thank again!

• koulla christou December 3, 2014, 8:48 pm

A friend of my son’s made a booking for ten students in Cyprus, by mistake he spelled my sons surname wrong he wrote Alexavdros instead of Alexandros, and now they want €110 to issue a new ticket for one letter error, please give me some advise on what to do. Thank you.

• Jemina Sentina December 3, 2014, 9:34 pm

Hi Koulla
      If you are in Cyprus, look for the Ryanair contact number in your country and call them. If they refuse to change the name for free, try contacting them through Twitter @Ryanair, which I think is the best way to get assistance. I hope everything will be sorted for your son.

• Devika November 29, 2014, 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for helping like this. I am really grateful.

• tracey November 12, 2014, 9:00 am

Now I remember why I dont Fly with Ryanair while booking flight I book wrong name think it was auto infil had to pay £110 will NEVER FLY with these again.

• Nancy November 10, 2014, 10:52 am

Hi – I booked my flight in my middle name instead of first name, rang the number in Ireland above and a miserable mare said it would be £160 to change or I could do it online for £110. So I rang Ryanair in France where I am flying from, and he changed it for €10.

• Jem November 11, 2014, 10:43 am

Hi Nancy, Thanks for sharing your experience and I’m glad you got it sorted.

• Anne Grey November 3, 2014, 12:37 pm

Thanks so much managed to chafe 4 wrong names for £10 !!!
    Fantastic !!!!

Anne and John

• Happy Customer October 24, 2014, 1:55 pm

Thankyou sooooooo much! I was freaking out and you saved the day. Name changed for FREE!

• Confused September 18, 2014, 3:45 pm

So where in this blog does it explain how to get them to change it for £10 or free of charge please????

• Emma September 17, 2014, 2:06 pm

Hey,
    I’ve had an absolute nightmare when I tried to book my flights using my Ipad, it’s auto filled in one of the passengers names completely wrong.

Can I do anything about this or will I have to buy another ticket?

• Jem September 17, 2014, 3:47 pm

Hi Emma, I’m sorry I can’t help you with this. Please contact Ryanair CS. You can also contact them through their twitter account.

• berna September 13, 2014, 5:41 pm

I just would like to know if I booked 20 persons and paid it already but still without doing the check in online is it possible that I can change some of the names with another persos? Thank u so much…

• Jem September 13, 2014, 8:24 pm

Hi Berna, I don’t think it’s possible because when you booked the tickets you already provided the names of the passengers. You can only change the spelling but it must be the same person.

• Shauna September 11, 2014, 3:05 pm

Hi Jem.. Myself and my partner are due to fly to lanzarote Monday week. On both passports our middle name is printed on them so when it says to type full name exactly as printed on the passport I typed our first name and middle names in the first name box? I presumed they needed the full name but have seen online your’re not supposed to this. Has anyone else done this and it been OK?

• Jem September 11, 2014, 10:12 pm

Hi Shauna, I never use my middle name when booking with Ryanair.

• Jo September 8, 2014, 6:18 pm

I made a group booking through cheapOair.co.uk. It was for two men and four ladies. One married lady and the rest of the ladies single. I selected Miss but the itinerary showed all of the ladies as Mrs. I made another extra booking for one more lady and this also showed Mrs when I obviously selected Miss. Does this matter as the Boarding passes will only be showing their firstname and surname. Help! Help! Help!

• Jem September 8, 2014, 7:39 pm

Hi Jo, titles don’t matter because they don’t appear in the passport.

• Elspeth September 8, 2014, 4:21 pm

Thank you so much Jem! I printed off the boarding passes and noticed I’d booked flights using my husband’s middle name rather than his first name (he’s always been known by his middle name). I have spent the past 2 hours in a panick as the flights are now 195 EUR. Just called the number above and had it changed for 10EUR. Much less than the £110 “name changing” fee on their website!

• Fran September 8, 2014, 2:23 pm

Hey Jem, just been on phone to Ryanair, i put my aunts maiden name on her booking instead of her marriage name. They charged me 10euros, they still insisted it was a name change after i pointed out to them it was an amendment only. I was going to rebook another flight as its only one way that was going to be £40 which i don’t mind. All i have to do now is fax them her marriage cert and all sorted. Thanks for the info!!

• Stef September 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

Hi, I am taking my 12 week old baby abroad with ryan air for the first time and I did not write his middle name when I did the online checking. his middle name is written on his passport. Do you think I need to change the booking or will they accept it? I haven’t tried contacting ryanair as I realised about this tonight

• Jem September 8, 2014, 9:32 am

Hi Steph,
      That’s all right. I never use my middle name when booking with Ryanair.

• RACHEL September 6, 2014, 11:27 am

My partner accidentally put my surname as his own when booking the flights. I have subsequently checked-in on-line only to realise after printing the boarding passes his error. I tried ringing Ryanair but the wouldn’t budge and to buy another ticket would be more than the extortionate £110 ‘change of name’ fee. Any advice?

• Jem September 6, 2014, 11:52 am

Hi Rachel, sorry about that. Do you have a twitter account? You can take your complaints to social network sites. If you don’t have one, send me your booking reference through the contact us link and I’ll try my best to deal with it.

• Stef September 8, 2014, 7:01 pm

Hi, Thanks for your comment.

I just wanted to let you know that I made contact with Ryanair on the numbers below, and also with online support. The middle name was added to the boarding pass without any charge because my son is still a baby. However, I was told that it shouldn’t be a problem that the middle name is not included on the passport. However, I was told that all names on passport should be included to avoid any difficulties at the airport.

• Jem September 8, 2014, 7:40 pm

Hi Stef, thank you for the update. Have a safe flight and enjoy your holidays!

• Amit October 28, 2014, 3:52 pm

When I saw you had contacted Ryanair with online support, I did the same. Zsuzsanna (Hungarian, as I asked her 🙂 ) changed it all for me, “corrected for you in a couple of hours in the profile” & now I have my full name on the same flight reservation number (hopefully no new costs!). So thanks to you & Jem.

• Alan Stewart September 3, 2014, 8:36 am

Hi,

Many thanks for the info.

Following booking a holiday through an agent I noticed on printing boarding passes that my mother in law’s first name was spelt with an N instead of an M.

Phone the number above, 2 mins on hold, spoke to a very pleasant and helpful guy called David. Explained the problem. Changed it straight away and advised that the name change will take effect after 2 hours and just have to go back in and reprint the boarding pass.

Total time under 5 mins, no additional charges.

Ta very much Ryanair.

• Kelly September 1, 2014, 6:12 pm

A friend of mine booked flights thru ryanair on sat. Her fatherinlaw has since ended up in hospital. Would it still be the £110 to name change do u think?

• Jem September 1, 2014, 6:29 pm

I think that would be a cancellation with a doctor’s certificate to show Ryanair as proof. I really can’t tell as I don’t work for Ryanair. But if you give them a call, they would then be able to advise you what to do.

• Kelly September 2, 2014, 10:28 am

• Steve August 23, 2014, 5:53 pm

Great advice, thanks Jem. My friends in Greece fell foul of the spell checker on their ipads. I called Ryanair today and after a brief explanation they amended 3 incorrect names – free of charge. I had to hold on for 8/9 minutes but it was very straight forward once i got through. Thanks for the advice.

• Sara Jane August 20, 2014, 1:24 pm

Hi
    I booked my flights when my daughter was 4 wks old, I put down Fox as her surname but the passport office said she needed the same as her birth cert which is Fox-Nulty as it was 1st passport. Do you think I will get away with it??

• Jem August 20, 2014, 3:44 pm

Hi Sarah,
      I don’t think you would get away with it, but you can email them and explain what the passport office advised you. They should then amend it for a tenner if not for free. I take it you booked the ticket before applying for the passport, am I right? If so, then you could request for an amendment.

• Aisling August 3, 2014, 5:31 pm

Hi can anyone help my daughter is due to fly out thurs to portagul with rynair she booked through low cost holidays ,while the booking came through with her double barrell name when she was putting in her details about passenger name she only put in one surname while her passport is double barrell name,cant get through to rynair,does anyone know how much this will cost to amend the surname????

• isa smith August 2, 2014, 10:52 pm

my sons friend has pulled out of a flight with ryanair next weekend. how do i get my name on this without costing an arm and a leg

• Jem August 3, 2014, 6:04 pm

Hi Isa,
      That is a tricky one. If he has a Valid reason to pull out then Probably they’ll refund. The only way to find out is by calling them.

• lionel July 29, 2014, 3:48 pm

Hi Jem, i found your link after realizing i had booked a flight for me and my wife through ryanair. My wife is latin and her name showing on her passport is her father and mother surname. when i booked the flight i have forgotten to mention the surname of her mother and i believe it will be an issue if i do not change it. Would it still be considered as an amendment to request her 2nd surname to be inserted and avoid paying £110 charge. My flight is in 5 days and i would love to have your opininon before i ring them. Thanks a lot in advance for your reply and thanks for sharing the informtion on this website.

Best
    Lionel

• Jem July 29, 2014, 4:13 pm

Is her mother’s surname written on her passport as her middle name? In Philippines, we do the same thing. But in our passports, the middle name is our mother’s surname like Juan Rodriguez Reyes, for example. Rodriguez is Juan’s mother’s surname. But in our passport it is under the Middle Name which Ryanair don’t care if missed, as long as the first and last name are supplied.

• Lionel July 30, 2014, 6:23 am

Hi jem thanks for your reply. On her passport it shows as the surname moreno acero and i only specified moreno in the booking. Do you think it will be ok? Or i should call ryanair to do the change.
        Thanks

• lionel July 30, 2014, 7:48 am

i mean both names are under the surname on the passport, no middle name. i am really confused about what to do

• Jem July 30, 2014, 3:41 pm

Call them as soon as you can and explain the situation.

• Ann Hairsine July 26, 2014, 12:49 pm

I booked two return flights with Ryanair for my husband’s grandson and his girlfriend on June 23. One week later we found out she was 6 months pregnant. Ryanair will not refund the cost of £350 nor will they waive the fee of £110 for each for a name change if I want to sell them. It is not as though they have to do anything as the change can be made via the website. I am seriously out of pocket. I wish I could change the names for £10 each but it would be a change and not an amendment.

• Jem July 28, 2014, 10:49 pm

Hi Anne,
      Sorry to hear about your predicament. I would have thought that Ryanair were considerate enough to accept your explanation. What if you write to them and say that you would take them to small claims court for refusing to refund the cost?

• Ian July 8, 2014, 9:05 pm

Hi jem glad to find your site. I have used a shortened name for my partner ‘Candy’ instead of her full name ‘Candida’. I’m guessing that if I use the process outlined here they’ll change it for a tenner. I’ll let you know. Thanks.

• Carrie-Ann August 2, 2014, 9:16 pm

Hi, wondering if you can help please. My friend and I are having kittens here as I have put his name as ‘Gareth’ instead of ‘Garry’ as I thought Garry was a nickname. I booked about a month ago. Will they charge me for this? We are struggling to save as it is 🙁

• Jem August 2, 2014, 9:40 pm

Just email or call them and explain your side of the story. I can’t tell for sure if they would change it for free or for £10 admin fee. Wish you all the best.

• Wendy July 5, 2014, 10:01 am

Hi Jem, I have written my surname in my Mum’s ticket instead to put her surname. To change the name in the website they would charge me 110£ more than the price of the ticket. What can I do ? It’s also Saturday and the call centre is close. 🙁

• Jem July 6, 2014, 1:09 am

Hi Wendy, Oh that’s a tricky one. I really don’t know what to say. But try contacting them and explain your mistake as soon as you can. Ryanair customer service has improved during the last few months. I wish you all the best.

• Elizabeth brown July 4, 2014, 4:35 pm

Hi I have booked a flight to Malta through a company called super escapes and the flights are through Ryanair the incompetent agent booked all 4 passengers names but the 4th was put down as Marie as first name and the surname as Therese instead of this being her middle name and although all 3 other passengers surnames were correct they completely missed my daughters putting her middle name as her surname. After several frustrating calls and them listening to the call recording they said I need to pay £120 to get this amended Ryanair would do it for £10 but as this was booked through a 3rd party they cannot deal with me without either the booking ref number for the flights or the email address used and guess what Super escapes refuse to give me this info can you give any advice regards. Elizabeth

• Jem July 4, 2014, 7:59 pm

Hi Elizabeth,
      Sorry to hear about your trouble with Super Escapes. Didn’t you get a confirmation email from them stating the flight reference number? If not, tell them you are going to contact ABTA to report them.